Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Need help understanding some vocal terminology

So, I'm a noob when it comes to understanding vocal types, and I'm hoping to get some help here.

I've watched a lot of vocal coach reaction videos, and I don't quite understand the following (regarding some of the singers I like to listen to)

- what is a high baritone vs a low tenor?
- what does singing above the break mean?
- can a baritone have a 'high' voice?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Im not full bottle on all the different voice types, but they are I think a German vocal classification system called a fach (pronounced faak). At KTVA we train with the mind set that you can go beyond your classification, either up or down. A high Baritone and low tenor probably have similar range with the Bari slightly lower and tenor higher. Vocal types can also be based on your tessitura, this is the range in which you can most comfortably sing. Again, KTVA will actually help extend your tessitura so you can comfortably sing in a wider range.

Singing above the break I think would mean singing past the register break. We have 2 main types of voice to sing with, chest voice and head voice. Chest is robust and powerful, head is more soft and gentle. Within chest voice there are 2 kinds, speaking register and call register. Speaking register is what you converse in, call register is what you use to project your voice across the street or through a crowded room. Between the 2 is a primo passagio, there is a shift that needs to be made. From the call register we go through a second passagio into head voice, this is the one that most people have trouble with, and there is a flip or yodel if you haven't trained to make it a smooth transition. This is also likely the "break" that is being referred to and the artist singing above the break is in their head voice. Head voice can also be airy or bright. Bright is what we aim for for good vocal health.

If you mean can a Baritone sing with a high voice, then yes.
  • AlaeMortisAlaeMortis Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the explanations. Very much appreciated!

I was wondering if you would know what this singer is - I've heard him described as a high tenor but also as a low tenor/high baritone.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it seems you wanted to post a link and didn't
  • AlaeMortisAlaeMortis Member Posts: 9
    Klaus_T said:

it seems you wanted to post a link and didn't

Oh dang. Oops! I made a new thread about it >

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/15223/is-this-guy-a-tenor-or-a-high-baritone#