Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

An A-HA moment for me (with short track)

KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
SO! I had my own A-HA moment yesterday at a karaoke session with my friends and it was unbelievable. I was using my head voice and transitioning so smoothly from Chest to Head. I was able to sing Whitney Houston - I have nothing, on original key, Beyonce - Listen, Kelly Clarkson - Because of You. All on original key. It was SO AWESOME. I felt NO tension at all in my neck. Just that my sternum and abs were TIRED AS HELL! I would crack when my support started to cramp up and gave out. I even sang a chinese song, Mr Lonely by Gary Cao, that I usually have problems with hitting the C5 note. This time I sang it on E5, harmonizing with my friend on the song. IT WAS AN AMAZING FEELING.

A side note, I did NOT at ALL warm up before going for this karaoke session. I was also having a sore throat. However at the beginning of the session, I slowly paced myself and sang lower songs and slowly built up. After about 3 hours, I was belting out C5s D5s.

After the karaoke session (WHICH LASTED FOR 6 HOURS). We stayed in the room and chilled. Since I had this A-HA moment, I tried to do higher notes. I was belting out random "High" chinese songs. or normal songs with their pitches pulled up way higher. Here's a short demo I managed to quickly record as I was really excited and wanted to share.

Do notice that I have been singing straight for 6 hours! I did take some rests like 3~4 minute break in between every 3- 5 songs? My abs and sternum was REALLY tired though. Still managed to do this!

Here's me hitting the F#5 G5 and then G#5! I'm thinking this is pure Head Voice.

Felt really happy and wanted to share this achievement with everyone. :) Back then I could hardly sing up to a F4 or G4. and sometimes I could belt out a A4 or Bb4. 

I've been doing KTVA for 1 year and 10 months. I have a before and after recorded and posted as well. Will post a more recent one soon!

EDIT : I didn't go hoarse at ALL. My voice was totally fine. :)

Cheers
Rayhan

Comments

• MattMatt Pro Posts: 197
    Looking forward to listening to this, Rayhan. Give me 40 minutes and I'll be on lunch and have a listen. Regardless, congratulations on the a-ha feeling! It's nice to know it still happens after training for as long as you have been!
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    It doesn't sound entirely pleasant but hey, it's progress!
  • david1552david1552 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 74
    @kokonuht

Nice and congratulations for the progress Rayhan!!! This just shows that it's worth all the hard work you've put in and that KTVA is the way to go! Thanks for sharing your excitement with us!

//David

• MattMatt Pro Posts: 197
    I get what you mean by it not sounding entirely pleasant, but the fact that you were hitting a G#5 is awesome enough, never mind the fact that you had been singing for 6 hours beforehand! Well done and thanks for sharing!
  • Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    You are starting to understand this.

You still break up in the lift section.

Try doing this with less volume and work up to belting this.

Little by little you will build the strength you are looking for to belt and mix this high like you are doing. :-)
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Thanks for the comment guys and Ken! =) 

Glad to share my progress!