Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

My personal challenge: Faithfully (with demo)

Hey, I'm Martin and I started taking weekly private singing lessons back in February 2019. Until 2 months ago, I usually practiced around once or maximum twice a week. I think this isn't enough, so in September this year, I purchased the whole bundle from Ken, because I wanted to explore another source of education (and possibly motivation). It turns out that what Ken teaches is very close to what my singing teacher is teaching me - this really reassured me. Since then, I started using the course to have easy access to vocal exercises that help me warm up my voice. Also, when my teacher tells me to work on something particular, I can navigate the course and check out the part of the course that will help me.

Anyways, one video that inspired me (and btw convinced me purchasing the course in the end) was the Faithfully cover by Ryan Haeri. It reminded me of who I wanted to be when I was his age (I'm 25 now). So I set myself a challenge and I want to record the full cover, including the high parts at the end.

Today while taking a walk through the city, I remembered this forum and thought it might be a great place to post a section of the song and seek feedback. Maybe someone even has a course-level-recommendation or pointers to specific areas that I should revisit. Obviously, for me, as I'm already taking classes and having a private teacher, it's harder to force myself watching early parts of the course.. so I would appreciate honest pushes. Also, I think it's wise to mention that my main focus right now is to record myself without fearing the red button (it's something I struggle a lot with, it tightens me up and I lose the relaxation).

So here is the recording I did yesterday:
It's tuned down by 5 semi-tons and covers the first version + chorus.

In case the player doesn't work, here is the direct link.

Comments

• Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I would suggest against skipping parts but starting at the beginning and taking your time. Your song sounds of but seriously lacking support I think. If you haven’t already gotten it you need to get your student access
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hello and welcome 🙂 you have some really good vowels and tone in your demo. If you use this course wisely then you will see alot of growth. We try to train an hour a day 5 to 6 days a week as an average, the more experienced will do more and sing songs on top of that. While it's great you have a coach that has similar methods, you need to make a choice. You can pick and choose if you like, but you won't get the most out of this course.

Find it in yourself to spend the time to really get to know the material. While you have a good start, you NEED to study volume 1 for at least 3 months, maybe more. These exercises are designed to grow your voice, when you get good at them then you use them as a warm up. All that money paid and not watching everything is a waste. You can find so many free warm-up scales on YouTube, but not with the info that is in this course.

For a start I suggest looking at the FAQS in the different categories to understand how to best use this forum. I hope this is a a good push for you 😉

Oh, and about that record button, just start recording yourself ALL the time, fear is less of an issue when you expose yourself to it often, then it becomes manageable and ultimately comfortable.