Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello from Nashville, by way of San Diego! -Kate Bush

RedFighterPilotRedFighterPilot Pro Posts: 43
edited November 2020 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hello to whomever will see this. I purchased the KTVA course maybe 5 or 6 years ago and I sat on it. Well, this year I decided to ante up and use what I paid for. I have been going strong for about 6 months now. I remember really struggling to hit the Steve Perry B4; now I can his and A5 and on a good day I can touch a B5!

I say that to say this: I have been discouraged by both family and friends to sing, I was told that Im not cut out to be a singer and that I should just stick to drums. I have had some success as a drummer and my singing has always been pretty terrible. For me I wanted to be a singer when I heard Eddie Vedder. That dude inspired me to want to sing, the problem was this:

I don't have a voice like his, in fact, I am the antithesis of Eddie, I have a high pitched voice and I hated it for the longest time.
It wasn't until someone told me and I should seek out singers that have a similar vocal fauch. That I ended up embracing my voice. I fond singers such as Perry Farrell, John Lennon & Liam Gallagher that really inspire me though my tone is still pretty bad.

Anyway, I decided to come on here and introduce myself. Here I am singing a Kate Bush song called Running Up That Hill. Please offer some constructive criticism on my voice. Yu can see the progression of my singing i the last 6 months if you listen to the other songs but this is the newest one. I just finished Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper but don't have video yet.
I plan on getting some one on one lessons with Ken in the spring on 2021.

thanks again and have a fabulous day!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjwW6D4vqI

Comments

• Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited November 2020
    Welcome! Don't listen to the nay sayers! They belong to a group of people who think, incorrectly, that singing is a talent you're born with. They believe that singing is something that can't be learned, honed and mastered, but it can. You have a wonderful voice my friend! Your voice sounds like it's in a good place already (by good place I mean I wouldn't mind going to a bar and discovering you fronting the band there) and still has room to grow even more. Keep singing!
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    I think its awesome! I like it waaaay more than the original :love:
    Have to admit that after the first sentence you sang I thought: "Hm ok"
    But then after a while you went stronger and better and the chorus in the end is great!!
    Good descision to go your way and not to listen to what others told you!!!

Btw: I also think its amazing that you can play all the instruments yourself
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100

Hey, hello from Italy!

I am 8 months in KTVA course, my family told me not to sing as well but I persisted and now I am improving and some people start to compliment on my voice!

I like you voice! Please keep singing!

Happy singing :smile:
  • wow! Thank you very much! oh how I miss Italy!
  • RedFighterPilotRedFighterPilot Pro Posts: 43
    edited November 2020
    Chris82 said:

Welcome! Don't listen to the nay sayers! They belong to a group of people who think, incorrectly, that singing is a talent you're born with. They believe that singing is something that can't be learned, honed and mastered, but it can. You have a wonderful voice my friend! Your voice sounds like it's in a good place already (by good place I mean I wouldn't mind going to a bar and discovering you fronting the band there) and still has room to grow even more. Keep singing!

Thank you so much!!! this is huge for me, seriously, thank you and your right, I wasn't always the drummer I am today...I worked for years to get where i am and I sacrificed a ton growing up in order to attain the sills I have today.
  • shining said:

I think its awesome! I like it waaaay more than the original :love:
    Have to admit that after the first sentence you sang I thought: "Hm ok"
    But then after a while you went stronger and better and the chorus in the end is great!!
    Good descision to go your way and not to listen to what others told you!!!

Btw: I also think its amazing that you can play all the instruments yourself

Woah, thank you so much! yearning the other instruments was also discouraged, I feel lie I'm becoming the guitar player I have always wanted to be. Thank you again! I had no idea that people were going to comment, and be encouraging even.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice job, Louie!
  • Thank you sir, greatly appreciated.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the forum mate, I'm glad you made the move to finally get started and have already received much encouragement here 🙂
  • esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    actually that's pretty good, much better than the acoustic recording
  • esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    i said you sound like tom delonge before, but now after listening to your other covers i think you sound more like Cedric Bixler-Zavala, a very bright tone! interestingly in message in a bottle those C#5 sounded a lot like oliver sykes.

• RedFighterPilotRedFighterPilot Pro Posts: 43
    edited November 2020
    esequibo said:

you sound more like Cedric Bixler-Zavala, a very bright tone! interestingly in message in a bottle those C#5 sounded a lot like oliver sykes.

Im not familiar with those singers. I will look them up. thank you...Oh, At The Drive In. yea I toured with them when I was in The Appleseed Cast.