Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Decent enough to play in a band and seduce audience?

Hi guys, i'm esequibo from venezuela. i've been singing since like 2013 but i never took it until like 2018. Since then i have been paying more attention to technical stuff and trying to expand my range.
I came for two reasons, first of all i wanted you to hear my singing and tell me how do i sound to u, cool or not cool and if you want since i know it's a controversial almost taboo topic tell my voice type: am i decent enough for singing?
i've been following papa Ken, master of singing, since 2018, and i think i've improved a lot thanks to him.

my voice:

high singing:little monster by royal blood
low singing: gone with the sin by him
confort zone singing: hey ya by outkast

The other reason i came to forum was to point to you this misleading wikipedia post: if this is true or not i couldn't care less, but citation is needed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Tamplin (under personal life)

Comments

• esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    Hey Ya this is my outkast cover that it's not allowed to soundcloud
    very confortable while singing it even tho fast paced 2nd verse is just energy release and not much technique
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Yes it is accurate and as far as sound cloud give it a different name that doesn’t imply the name of the song or the artist for example hy1
    so any thoughts on my singing? and voice type and such?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I listened to your Outkast demo since im familiar with the song. You are able to follow the general melody in pitch but its not consistent. I know you took some liberties during the song and went into different keys and octaves and Im assuming this was just artistic choice. Your range is pretty good, its been a while since I tried this song and the chorus was too high for me to do comfortably. Voice type isn't taboo, just not something we really bother too much with and I know of some different voice types but I couldn't tell you what someone is by listening to them.

Cool as well is subjective. If I heard you in a karaoke bar I would clap for the effort and energy you put in. If this a serious cover I won't say you are uncool, but there is quite alot of work to get it up to a serious standard.

Lastly of course you are decent enough for singing, everyone is. Its the dedication to you apply to train to get things right, that will see you get to the next level. Im not talking months either, this is something like years, just like any other musical instrument.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    So I can’t get hey ya to play. It’s the only one I’m familiar with. As I tried to listen to the other two they were both the same thing I only listened to the first few seconds, pretty pitchy but on the other hand pretty decent chest resonance.
    Wigs said:

Your range is pretty good, its been a while since I tried this song and the chorus was too high for me to do comfortably. Voice type isn't taboo, just not something we really bother too much with and I know of some different voice types but I couldn't tell you what someone is by listening to them.

i see, well thanks for your thoughts man, my everyday range is F#2-C5 but i know i can scream my shit off and get to like E5 once a while to impress (singing stuff by greta van fleet) but i'm not able to sing confortly something like show me how to live chorus. or even linkin park B4s.
    i mean A4-C5 area is very hard to sound nice even tho i can kind of sing over there.
    for the lows i don't ask much more frankly, what the hell i'm supposed to do with notes below F2?. some days sometimes i get to C2 but that's like very random, not under my control. and tbh i'm not that interested because it's boring. gives some spice and stuff but i have enough of it.
    yeah and my upper voice sometimes sounds like an old lady, which i'm okay with cuz it seems to impress people haha.

Hey Ya is such a fun song to sing tbh btw.

So I can’t get hey ya to play. It’s the only one I’m familiar with. As I tried to listen to the other two they were both the same thing I only listened to the first few seconds, pretty pitchy but on the other hand pretty decent chest resonance.

thanks, yeah, sometimes i think i even go offpitch out of interest, i'm sure like jhon frusciante said one time, there's some magic in microtonal music, maybe it's only that, maybe it's a way of expression.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    When we exercise and stretch our voice up and down, its to give us more comfortable usable range. If your can get a decent sounding C2, your F2 should be very resonant and clean. If you only train down to an F2, you won't have as strong a sound when you go to sing it. The same goes for taking your voice way up top. On a good day I can go to G5 in my scales, but I still have trouble with D5s in songs. The higher I can safely stretch in practice, the easier the D5 will feel for me.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I'd say that you could pull off lead singer of Cover Band at local bar for sure. I will echo what @Wigs said and say there is still a lot of room for improvement but you should also be happy where you're at now too because your singing IS enjoyable to listen to as it is.
    cant stop by rhcp

my english isn't great i promise i dind't know the lyrics, was reading them on scream