Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Vocal Health: Lays Chips & Singing.

Hello everyone, I recently discovered that I sing better (less noticeable junk in my throat) after eating Lays brand chips, that specific brand. It seems to coat my throat; has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
Does anyone know why this is?

thank you :)

Comments

• LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    Thats very interesting!
    Do you think it could have something to do with the salt content?
    I know that gargling with hot water and salt clears mucus so maybe it has a similar effect?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i think it might be that the oil and sugar coat your vocal cords. there are products like "throat coat" and "gelo revoice" for when you feel you need some lubrication on your cords, but they are short term solutions and will make you be able to sing when you should not sing. i don't know how "bad" it is to use them while you are fine. but i would assume they are a gimmick rather than a magic pill. and i'm afraid the same goes for your chips...
  • @LindseyBean, I don’t think so because it is only with this brand. Other salty chips just dry you out.
  • @Klaus_T, yea I wondered how bad it could be for vocal health.
    Thank you for your response.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited December 2020
    i guess you'll have to lay off the chips then

I also think some foods have a negative impact on your singing. You might need some time again to 'clear' your throat of it. It's good to know what foods to avoid. Ken also has some videos about vocal health and food etc. You might find some interesting tips there.

I highly encourage everyone to pick up a good diet and keep snacks to a minimum. Not even daily.
  • @bentk, yea I watched all the videos.
    Lord knows I
    Don’t need the calories from the chips.
    Thank you for your input!
  • cjfoxcjfox Member, 2.0 INTERMEDIATE Posts: 19
    I heard this advice at a vocal workshop I was at over a year ago. The instructor said she heard it from a singer who she thought had great stamina and asked him what his secret was, and he said hydration, sleep, and lay's potato chips. I haven't tried the chips myself, although I can vouch for a good sleep and hydration..