Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Singing a song i can't sing. A Cover of "Man in the Box"

TheBommelTheBommel Member Posts: 15
This is still a very difficult song for me, i needed so many takes!
It is still embarassing to share it but this is why i am here, do you have feedback for me ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVutwKIUVpo

Comments

• NicolasGralewiczNicolasGralewicz Member Posts: 42
    Writing as I listen. First off, you have an awesome grungy tone! About the high notes, sounds good, you might be pushing a lil? Reminds me of Jared Leto a bit on those A-flats! (def a compliment). Overall, I'd be jamming along if I was at the bar and you guys busted this out (maybe with the addition of a full kit and electric guitars?). Also, the band are awesome and tell em I said that!

Now, for the criticism. Those "mid-high" notes ("Won't you come and save me") sound like you're pushing chest a tad and those A-flats do sound a lil tense as well, especially the grit. I'm not entirely sure if that grit is a throaty glottal compression or fry, if it's throaty glottal compression then definitely check out Ken's video on vocal compression. If it's fry, glottal compression will not only sound FULLER and more like a grunge/rock singer, but will make the high notes EASIER to reach.
  • TheBommelTheBommel Member Posts: 15

Writing as I listen. First off, you have an awesome grungy tone! About the high notes, sounds good, you might be pushing a lil? Reminds me of Jared Leto a bit on those A-flats! (def a compliment). Overall, I'd be jamming along if I was at the bar and you guys busted this out (maybe with the addition of a full kit and electric guitars?). Also, the band are awesome and tell em I said that!

Now, for the criticism. Those "mid-high" notes ("Won't you come and save me") sound like you're pushing chest a tad and those A-flats do sound a lil tense as well, especially the grit. I'm not entirely sure if that grit is a throaty glottal compression or fry, if it's throaty glottal compression then definitely check out Ken's video on vocal compression. If it's fry, glottal compression will not only sound FULLER and more like a grunge/rock singer, but will make the high notes EASIER to reach.

Hey thanks for the Feedback, i'll check that video out! The "Won't you come and save me" parts come easily but i'm not happy about the sound but maybe the video helps here :)

The biggest problem for me are the "Feed my eyes" parts this is the last note i can sing with my chest voice with power and sometimes it works and sometimes not. So i somehow need to expand my chestvoice by one note, but i don't know how. I absolutely can't play the song in standard tuning which is a problem when we play live. Not at the moment of course but you know what i mean :D tuning down half a step for one song would be silly. Any help for that ?
  • NicolasGralewiczNicolasGralewicz Member Posts: 42
    TheBommel said:

Hey thanks for the Feedback, i'll check that video out! The "Won't you come and save me" parts come easily but i'm not happy about the sound but maybe the video helps here :)

The biggest problem for me are the "Feed my eyes" parts this is the last note i can sing with my chest voice with power and sometimes it works and sometimes not. So i somehow need to expand my chestvoice by one note, but i don't know how. I absolutely can't play the song in standard tuning which is a problem when we play live. Not at the moment of course but you know what i mean :D tuning down half a step for one song would be silly. Any help for that ?
    I'd recommend either practicing the song lower until you're comfortable going higher or leaning into a bit more of a head-mix. By that I mean keeping that nice chesty belty sound but going a lil bit higher with the resonance, once you add the grit it's hard to tell the difference unless you're specifically listening for it.
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Very nice singing! That is a tough song. And the band sounds good.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Really good mate! What you should consider to help consolidate that "feed my eyes" part is a couple of things. First practise the note in your scales workout (if you dont do this then think about starting) and try to bring your chest voice a note or 2 above it and really concentrate on remembering what it sounds and feels like in your throat.

Secondly is to actually start practicing the song by tuning it up! Singing the song in a higher key (I totally get that this song is a test piece for many male rock singers) in practice helps you to get over the fact of thinking of the "high" note when you sing it in the original for a performance because you already know you can sing this song higher anyway. This could be something that takes quite a few months to work up to.
  • TheBommelTheBommel Member Posts: 15
    Thanks a lot guys! :)