Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Singing while dancing heavy on the stage

Hello guys!

Do you have any tips or recommendations to rehearse in order to not loose pitch while dancing and jumping around the stage?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited March 2021
    not that i have a lot of experience with it, i am just guessing from what i know about singing and practice in general:

*i think you should definitely make sure to be in top condition, do cardio workouts etc to be fit, so that you don't run out of breath so quickly

*practice the dancing and singing separately so there are no question marks or unclear parts that you are too distracted to notice, you need to be able to do both parts as automatically (and GOOD) as possible

*practice it both at the same time when you have "mastered" the individual stages. remember, "train as you fight, fight as you train (or something like that). ideally you practice it in as realistic a scenario as possible, but ideally (if time allows), only AFTER you mastered the individual tasks, so as to avoid grinding in bad habits that go unnoticed because you are too distracted juggling it all. it is boring and takes discipline to separate the two, i know it from when i know i should play guitar and sing SEPARATELY first, i end up doing both at the same time sometimes ;)

*if you can, optimize your choreography: make sure that your singing posture is affected as little as possible and avoid twisting your torso or neck, or otherwise compromise good singing posture (as little as possible for the dancing style, anyway). also, you could pace the choreo so that hard-to-sing parts are accompanied by easier-to-dance parts, and vice versa, plan for little rests after hard bits etc, also, pace the whole show (if it is more than one song)

that's what i can think of right now.
  • NomarNomar 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thanks Klaus, and what about stabilizing the voice so it doesn't sound shaky?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited March 2021
    i think all these things above will avoid or minimize it being shaky.

also, the better you get at "normal" singing (=not jumping around), the less shaky your pitch will be. you're support will get stronger, and that is what drives the issues you mentioned.

while you progress in the course, all these things are addressed automatically, to a degree. in vol 3, you will have to be able to sing much longer phrases, which in the beginning you won't be able to do. it is a natural process, and it has to grow over time, that's why Ken warns us about not rushing through the volumes. so you grow your singing stamina, and this will also help mitigate the issues you are talking about