edited April 2021 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Hi

This is me singng "Breakfast In America" By Supertramp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVE00Y4uUXw

Human Robot

Comments

• codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    @HumanRobot,

Great work on this challenging song. It's quite high, I can see why you have opted to do it in falsetto. Have you worked on your chest voice much? I think this would be a great one to get the mix voice working on. Going from high chest, mixing and going to head voice on those higher notes.
    I have found some real value in building the chest voice in Volume 1, and now I am working on bridging it is opening up all these new possibilities for me. I was singing a few songs on the weekend, just singing along with the tunes on YouTube, and some of the songs I like have parts that are to high for me... not like "the high note" of the song, but just parts of different phrases that I could never get in pitch. Now after working on bridging for a few weeks, (I had not been bridging from chest at all before this), I find that if I support nice and firm, and hold back the breath, I can mix right into head voice and get some of these notes now. I am just like a baby learning to walk... I can't really go any distance and if I let go of the couch I fall right over... lololll but now I can take the odd step before I fall down... :smiley:

I would encourage you to work on building your chest voice. Have a search around on Ken's youtube channel for vids on this, or better yet make getting the course a goal. You will see some real progress once you start working a set of exercises each night to build muscle, and focusing on technique.
    Actually @Klaus_T has some free vids from Ken's channel on his profile page, this could be a great place to start:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/profile/Klaus_T

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Scotty
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    edited April 2021
    codeowl said:

@HumanRobot,

Great work on this challenging song. It's quite high, I can see why you have opted to do it in falsetto. Have you worked on your chest voice much? I think this would be a great one to get the mix voice working on. Going from high chest, mixing and going to head voice on those higher notes.
    I have found some real value in building the chest voice in Volume 1, and now I am working on bridging it is opening up all these new possibilities for me. I was singing a few songs on the weekend, just singing along with the tunes on YouTube, and some of the songs I like have parts that are to high for me... not like "the high note" of the song, but just parts of different phrases that I could never get in pitch. Now after working on bridging for a few weeks, (I had not been bridging from chest at all before this), I find that if I support nice and firm, and hold back the breath, I can mix right into head voice and get some of these notes now. I am just like a baby learning to walk... I can't really go any distance and if I let go of the couch I fall right over... lololll but now I can take the odd step before I fall down... :smiley:

I would encourage you to work on building your chest voice. Have a search around on Ken's youtube channel for vids on this, or better yet make getting the course a goal. You will see some real progress once you start working a set of exercises each night to build muscle, and focusing on technique.
    Actually @Klaus_T has some free vids from Ken's channel on his profile page, this could be a great place to start:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/profile/Klaus_T

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Scotty

Hi

Thank you so much for your comments . Yes I think I need to tweek my technique a bit lol . But I'm glad you are doing well and learning how to sing. Its great to hear what you have achieved so far.

But thanks for your encouragement as long as its fun and you enjoy what you do then thats half the battle. But I will definitely look some of Kens videos up.

Thanks so much

Human Robot

@HumanRobot,

I just had a discussion with another friend about moving up in pitch in chest voice with ease that you may find some value in :wink: If you practice these aspects of technique using scales say 5 - 6 days a week, your chest voice will grow and it will open up a heap of new possibilities for you. It is pretty exciting, once I worked on these things I started feeling the difference within weeks. Do some research on the soft palate and uvula so you understand where they are. You can raise them by doing a yawning motion. Also if you lightly put your finger on your Adams apple and do a yawning motion you can feel it move down. I am not sure how much of this stuff you know already but learning these were game changes for me in being able to sing in chest voice.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/85325/#Comment_85325

Regards,

Scotty
    codeowl said:

@HumanRobot,

I just had a discussion with another friend about moving up in pitch in chest voice with ease that you may find some value in :wink: If you practice these aspects of technique using scales say 5 - 6 days a week, your chest voice will grow and it will open up a heap of new possibilities for you. It is pretty exciting, once I worked on these things I started feeling the difference within weeks. Do some research on the soft palate and uvula so you understand where they are. You can raise them by doing a yawning motion. Also if you lightly put your finger on your Adams apple and do a yawning motion you can feel it move down. I am not sure how much of this stuff you know already but learning these were game changes for me in being able to sing in chest voice.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/85325/#Comment_85325

Regards,

Scotty

Hi Scotty

Thanks so much .

I guess if you listen to Kate Bush's song "Rolling the ball song that is where I am at the moment lol x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNtPbHkp0U

I will certainly look into doing the above. If you feel comfortable I would love to hear you singing.

Thanks again

Human Robot

Hi Scotty

I am still trying to get around posting and deleting etc on lol. This is "Rolling the Ball" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNtPbHkp0U

Thanks so much again

Human Robot
    @HumanRobot,

Ok cool, yeah I had just looked up, it's a really theatrical style... it appears a lot of her stuff is like that.
    Funny when you said the name Kate Bush, for some reason I thought of Tony Childs... I love this song by her and Stephen Cummings, but clearly, she is not Kate Bush... lololl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6MyLYCuks

Regarding hearing my singing, you are in luck. I just posted a cover recently actually, it was my first one on the forum :smile: You can watch it here:
    Cover - Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

@doc_ramadani gave me some great advice for keeping my vowels open more and I have been practicing that this week. It has actually made a big difference, and even makes the song easier to sing. I plan to upload another take once I get a few more weeks of practice in.

Regards,

Scotty
    codeowl said:

@HumanRobot,

Ok cool, yeah I had just looked up, it's a really theatrical style... it appears a lot of her stuff is like that.
    Funny when you said the name Kate Bush, for some reason I thought of Tony Childs... I love this song by her and Stephen Cummings, but clearly, she is not Kate Bush... lololl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i6MyLYCuks

Regarding hearing my singing, you are in luck. I just posted a cover recently actually, it was my first one on the forum :smile: You can watch it here:
    Cover - Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

@doc_ramadani gave me some great advice for keeping my vowels open more and I have been practicing that this week. It has actually made a big difference, and even makes the song easier to sing. I plan to upload another take once I get a few more weeks of practice in.

Regards,

Scotty

Hi Scotty

I just listened to you singing "Ain't no sunshine" . I like your version and you playing the guitar to. You sound great x Do you write any of your own music ?

Human Robot

@HumanRobot,

Thanks mate :smile: Yeah I have written a few songs when I was younger and also jam with a couple of guys a work when we can. We were jamming once a week in the latter half of 2019, but then covid hit and we all worked from home for 2020, (I work in IT), and now the drummer is super busy so we have only jammed a couple of times this year.

I have the start of a couple of songs I put together while jamming with the guys 2019 where I have one verse and a few riffs, One day when I get some time I will try to get back into them.

What about yourself, have you written much?

Regards,

Scotty

edited April 2021
    codeowl said:

@HumanRobot,

Thanks mate :smile: Yeah I have written a few songs when I was younger and also jam with a couple of guys a work when we can. We were jamming once a week in the latter half of 2019, but then covid hit and we all worked from home for 2020, (I work in IT), and now the drummer is super busy so we have only jammed a couple of times this year.

I have the start of a couple of songs I put together while jamming with the guys 2019 where I have one verse and a few riffs, One day when I get some time I will try to get back into them.

What about yourself, have you written much?

Regards,

Scotty

Hi Scotty

Yes Covid has tried to put the whole world "On Hold".

But jamming is a great way to be creative. YeahI have a written a few songs (or tried to lol ).
    But it's good that you can come on here and still do your music a bit..

Do you live in the USA ?

Human Robot