Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Neck Tension?

JusticeGemJusticeGem Pro Posts: 92
edited November 2018 in Vocal Health and Wellness
https://youtu.be/APfyn4FPNAk

In this practice clip. my neck is tense altho I can sing that note without tension on scale, is it cus my neck is coming forward?

This guy mentions that there is a tendency for singers to move their neck forward when singing to a mic 04:36. How should I work on reducing my neck tension? Or is this all I need to know?

You are not permitted to post videos from other vocal programs here.

Comments

• Options
    bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited November 2018
    What do you define as neck tension? Is it like 'pressure' inside your throat when singing?

As for form, you should stand with your shoulders back and in a straight position, with your ribcage 2/3 expanded. So you don't tilt your head, and you don't bring it forward too much.

When singing, you deal with more than the pure vowel like on a scale. You have vowel transitions, and consonants to deal with. It's much more difficult to transition between certain vowels. Since you have PRO access, check out the PRO VIDEOS sections, and look at the videos with Adam. I think there is a video about vowel transitions.

When singing words such as 'baby', especially when singing in your mid range or even higher, you want to modify the words a little. You use vowel mods during your scale, you want to use those in singing as well. You change the vocal tract a little. Are you familiar with the whole concept of vowel tract shaping?

Coming back to the word 'baby', you would want to sing b-Ey-b-EE. Something like that. So you can ease into that EE. Or, alternatively, you could sing b-Eh-b-Ehy, with Eh from 'led', and use vowel mods if you need, depending on the pitch. Go lightly on the consonants. I am not really good at explaining this in text. I would ask @highmtn for a better explanation if you need it.

This is just an example to make you aware of this, in the case you weren't. I think you actually do modify some vowels here and there.

All the best,

Ben
  • Options
    NormNorm Member Posts: 3
    When I sing my neck tightens especially when I go into falsettos or whistles , I can't rise my chest voice high because when I do the tension comes in and if I sing through the tension my throat or sometimes the left side of my larynx hurt ... And when I say tension I mean u can see my neck tightening from the outside n I think same applies to the inside ... Pls help
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @Norm it sounds to me like there might be a lack of support, which then offloads all the work to the throat, which then resuls in tension and this strainy feeling in the throat. have you worked on stretching your chest range?

are you doing regular exercises? if not, i suggest you check out the sample workout on my profile page.

these things don't come out of nowhere, it's a lot of work. pain in the larynx (or anywhere else) is a sign that this is definitely not safe to do. ideally, post a recording, then we can tell you more about it.
  • Options
    @Klaus_T thank you so much I'll start working on my support n exercise daily... While making plans on how to get the course :smiley:
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    the free stuff is a great start too, @Norm
    make sure to sing lightly. you can post samples to make sure you are doing it correctly
  • Options
    I'll surely post a vid as soon as I figure out how to, but thanks for reply @Klaus_T