Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
Options

Pre-start critiques requested

Hello, all. I just finished downloading the HTSv2.0 course, and very much looking forward to getting started on this journey.

I’ve never had confidence in my singing, in fact was once told many years ago that I was bad at it (which destroyed what little confidence I had). These days, many of my friends are pro recording artists/vocalists, and it’s even more intimidating. But I took a risk and recorded 2 videos to have one of those pro friends take a look at (he had volunteered to do so). The feedback…surprised me, tbh. I was … other-than-awful; I’ll take that, for a start. My friend isn’t a coach or teacher, though, so here I am.

I’m including YT links to the same 2 recordings, and VERY much look forward to any encouragement and feedback; hopefully this is the right forum for this. Please do keep in mind that I do know these aren’t great even by my own standards; in each, I’m near the end of very long and exhausting work days, and, for Stay Hungry, my posture suffers greatly for my tiredness.

Anyway, hello, and here are those vids:

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry (Appalachian style)
https://youtu.be/VJ7oMxXSzvg

Blue Oyster Cult - “Veteran of the Psychic Wars”
https://youtu.be/FtVw2-8uFQs

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2021
    hi mate, welcome to the course and forums. you want to make ure you have student's access to the forums:

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-how-to-sing-better-than-anyone-else-student-areas-of-the-forums#

yes this IS exactly the right place for anything related to singing.

sorry to hear they knocked your confidence. with singing, this can be a death sentence for any potential and future development. great you did not let it get that far. you have taken on their language though, when you label your own video as "bad" in the title! don't do this. you would not go up to an oak seedling and tell them they will never amount to anything, they are just tiny and weak. it is the time you put into growing your voice that makes the difference. very few people have such a natural talent that it is there right from day one. maybe noone, actually. it is hard work, and it is an instrument. you would not tell someone in their first piano lesson how much they suck, right?

i think you have a good starting point, your tone sounds pleasant. whatever technical shortcomings there are, they are common and standard in non-trained singers (again, the piano reference, if you haven't learned how to play it, where would any technique come from?!), and the course, given you follow it properly, will sort all of that out in due time.

looking forward to hearing you progress. feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the course and singing in general. everyone here knows what a fragile thing the confidence for singing is, you are safe here, and no one is gonna put you down, we are all here in this to improve our voices

great to have you here!
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Did you know it can be quite difficult for people to sing with relative pitch without a musical reference, aka acapella? You are doing this quite well! You have a very strong base line to start your vocal development, there are some thing's you are already doing naturally as you go higher so alot of the info in the course will be very informative for you. You will be glad you joined, and there is a wealth of extra info in the student forum that really compliments the course material.
  • Options
    kevinwaynekevinwayne Member Posts: 64
    Not familiar with either song, but the 2nd one sounds fairly decent~! Keep it up |m/