Home Recording Techniques and Gear
Options

In Ear Monitor Systems- Looking for Recommendations

Does anyone have any good suggestions on in-ear monitor systems that won't break the bank? I know the top brand IEM's run in the $700-$2000 range, but I'm looking for something that is reliable and sounds good that might be a little more affordable.

I'm looking at the Galaxy Audio 950. Anyone had experience with that unit? Anything I should watch out for.

For a little background I sing for two different bands... one is an all original band that so far has done 3-4 gigs. The other is a Journey tribute band. In both bands I have really difficult time hearing the stage monitors and I end up blowing out my voice trying to sign over the stage volume.

I appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @GaryDrumm,

I have the Shure SE215-CL and am quite satisfied with them. I takes a time to get used to the feeling and how fiddle out how to put them in correctly but after that they feel very comfortable and the audio quality is good. They are a good start in the world of IEM.

Doc
  • Options
    GaryDrummGaryDrumm 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    @doc_ramadani. Thank you for your recommendation. I’ll check them out.
  • Options
    janne_oksanenjanne_oksanen 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    If you want to try IEMs without making a huge investment you can do what I did. Look up headphones called "KZ ZSN Pro". They are Chinese dual driver IEMs that only cost about $15. They sound great and really compete with Shure IEMs 10x the price! Just make sure to also order memory foam tips because they ship with those silicone tips that don't provide quite enough isolation for playing with a drummer. Then pair those IEMs with a Behringer P2 headphone amp belt pack and you have a wided IEM system for about $50.
  • Options
    GaryDrummGaryDrumm 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    @janne_oksanen The KZ’s are what I settled on. I also got the Galaxy Audio AS 1100 wireless unit. Looking forward to working with it in my upcoming rehearsals. I was blown away by the sound of the ZSN 10 Pros. They sound incredible! Curious to see how they hold up over time.
  • Options
    NeilKenSingerNeilKenSinger 2.0 PRO Posts: 125
    edited September 2021

If you want to try IEMs without making a huge investment you can do what I did. Look up headphones called "KZ ZSN Pro". They are Chinese dual driver IEMs that only cost about $15. They sound great and really compete with Shure IEMs 10x the price! Just make sure to also order memory foam tips because they ship with those silicone tips that don't provide quite enough isolation for playing with a drummer. Then pair those IEMs with a Behringer P2 headphone amp belt pack and you have a wided IEM system for about $50.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation about the KZ Audio in ear monitors. My band is looking to get into using in ears, so I'm going to give the KZ Audios a try as a starting point. What sort of memory foam tips do I need to order with them, and where do I get them from? Will any size memory foam tips fit these in ear monitors?
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    thats what i ordered too @doc_ramadani cant wait for them to get here and start rehearsing with them. i had a drummer pass through a club i mix at, hes using that wired set up @janne_oksanen is talking about. i dont know how long hes been using them but the first night i mixed him he started having problems with them halfway through the night. of course he blamed the pa system but theres never any problems for anyone else. two weeks later they came in filling in for a band that cancelled, his stuff still wasnt working and of course he never checked it in that two week period. he had to settle for a wedge and was whining about how his stuff doesnt work there. well heres a thought, check it in your two weeks off and get it fixed dumb ass
  • Options
    NeilKenSingerNeilKenSinger 2.0 PRO Posts: 125
    edited September 2021
    So I've just ordered some KZ Audio KS10 Pro in ear monitors, which are very low priced but have excellent reviews online due to their great quality. I've also got a Zoom L-12 digital mixer, which allows up to 5 separate monitor mixes so every band member can have a customised in ear mix. The next step will be to buy a wireless system for my in ears. Here is a good review of the KS10 Pros by a drummer, who says they are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rPMV9r8Fs&t=4s