Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Help! What Genre Is My Song?

Hey all! I just finished a new a cappella cover of the Cheers theme song, “Where Everybody Knows Your Name”. I am ready to start uploading it to streaming platforms, and also submitting it for playlist considerations.

The only problem is, I don’t know what genre to list this song as. Obviously it’s an a cappella song, but “a cappella” is NOT listed as a genre in Distrokid, nor in Spotify. So that’s out. There’s room for two genres I can list: a primary genre and secondary genre. Distrokid has “Vocal” as one of the options for a genre. But this is not good enough, because Spotify For Artists does NOT have “Vocal” listed as a genre option on their playlist application form.

You can listen to it here:

Maybe since this is a cover, I could list it as the same genre as the original song? The main problem with that is that it’s difficult for me to get an accurate reading of what “genre” the original song is in. But even though the melody and lyrics are the same, I don’t know if my cover is a similar enough style to be considered the same genre.

My primary concern is having genres that will fit with a relevant playlist with a similar style.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions or constructive criticism for me from an engineering standpoint, let me know, as I have been recording, mixing, and mastering all my own tracks (including this one! :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Its great to hear you again. Awesome bass notes and altogether much improved singing and mixing! The only thing I think needs changing is the beginning where one of the tracks has over used echo. When you have the choir parts you can try to add a bit more sparkle or high end so they cut through a bit more. Depending on how many tracks the choir is you could just do some of them.

I have no clue what to classify this as though, sorry.
  • Options
    KarenSingsKarenSings 2.0 PRO Posts: 80