Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Singing my original song: On Your Own - Michael Hill

I re-recorded the vocals for this original song several times. My vocals have a tendency to sound thin and brazzy. I sang a lower volume with a more breathy tone to get the sound I have in this video. I used no pitch correction. Please provide feedback. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/CtEVAwdiTcs

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Beautiful song. Your tone and emotion are really nice. A couple of minor pitch wavers but over all a well put together track. I didn't hear anything too thin or brassy, if fact it sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to by shedding the weight and leaning into your mask a bit more as you begin to reach your upper range. Its possible for you to make small adjustments to your tone up there by dialling back your mask just a little to give a bit more of a rounder tone without sacrificing brightness, this would feel like a small change in your vocal tract.
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 251
    That is great thank you. Agreed I notice some small pitch issues and occasionally thin vocals.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    nice song, and well performed & produced.
    @Klaus_T Thank you for your comment and time to listen. Rock on!
  • crabolacrabola Pro Posts: 20
    I'm a hobbyist singer..... This is really good! Your voice has all the components in it. IMO Just keep singing and experimenting with different tones if you're concerned about thin tone. With just a small alteration of the shape of your mouth or position of your larynx/tilt of your head etc.... you can make big changes. I'm finding this to be true. It's the "repeatability" of these techniques that can be challenging and also purging the bad habits that we all deal with.
    The fact that you used no pitch correction and this is the result is a very good thing. I'm of the belief that if you can get it this far without pitch correction there is absolutely no harm in tweaking that extra 1-3 percent of the performance. When you can hear the pitch correction in every "correction" scenario its time to punch in and correct it with a real take. It's when someone can't sing that pitch correction turns into robotic sounding crap.
    You know by your own experiences on any given take that you will nail the "pitchy" part and maybe have a slip somewhere else. IMO It's okay to use pitch correction very very sparingly if needed. I believe I've heard Ken say the same thing. After listening to 95 percent of the established Pros that don't use pitch correction live... most all of them have a pitch miss here or there.... A Singer like Dimash is a one off. He seems to be an exception to the rule of being human.
    Agreed @crabola I appreciate your feedback. I used pitch correction for my most recent original.