Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

.How can I do my vocal exercises without disturbing my neighbours or family?

I'm having a real problem here .I do Ken vocal exercises an hour a day and then I practice singing songs for like an another hour. I cant do vocal exercises without disturbing my neighbours and family . Is there any way to prevent my voice going outside of my house ? Can I try lowering my voice with pillow on my face? This is the big problem. My neighbours have started asking where is the noise coming from?

Answers

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I've never tried the pillow, and without some kind of room treatment it's going to be hard. The only other thing I can suggest is in a car, I know that standing is better but if it's all you can do it's better than nothing.
    Actually another option is to go into your cupboard and close the door, the clothes will muffle a lot of sound.
  • cowoltercowolter Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2022
    Sing at reasonable hours during the day. If a neighbor has complaints, reach out to them to establish a schedule when they know you’ll be have singing exercise. If they’re expecting you to be singing, chances are they won’t have a problem with it.
  • 80sVibeDude80sVibeDude Member Posts: 25
    I can tell you one simple thing that helped a lot before I finally get a vocal booth. And man I sing LOUD.
    If you want to sing anywhere in the house just to practice, just a get a drinking glass and put on your mouth closing the corners with your hands and sing along. It reduces the loudness 60% or more.

Downside of that though is that you hear your voice a bit muffled. But so it would be with the pillow right?
    The glass trick is much more effective than the pillow though, the glass isolates the sound much more.
    @HardRockVice That is a really good idea. Any coloraturas out there be wary of breaking the glass :lol:
  • 80sVibeDude80sVibeDude Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2022
    I did this for years, I NEVER broke any glass. But use common sense, of course not one of those thin glasses that people drink champagne. But one of those cheap and thick glasses people drink water or anything you know.