Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Accessing my head voice?

Hey everyone, I was trying to access my head voice but am not getting any closer, I just make my chest voice really thin & it make it seem as if I was using my head voice, Or I use my hard palate(I used the biological name because idk its name in the music perspective) when i try to access my head voice & it hurts after sometime plus I feel its not right. So I'll appreciate it if you help me.

Answers

• Options
    LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    You'll know when you're in head voice when you feel the resonance vibrating in your head or around your nose (in my experience). Your head voice is going to sound much weaker than chest if you're not used to using it often. It took me about a year to make my head voice as powerful as my chest voice. Volume 4 is focused solely on the head voice and how to make it brighter and stronger. When practicing head voice scales go very lightly and hold back the air until you can get that bright ping. It takes a while to learn how to do it correctly but it's worth the time
  • Options
    VinceRainVinceRain 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 20
    @Alexvo

It sounds like you could be using a lot of air to sing, which means you could work on using your air more efficiently. I would recommend singing using a straw. Straws have a very small area for air to come through, which is great because they make you use less air. So when practicing singing scales or even songs. Notice how much less air your using to sing notes. Now after using the straw try to sing without the straw and you should feel a bit of a difference.

Also try breathing through your lower belly and not your chest and using support.