Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Vocal Rest

Hello guys..i have a question..

usually, i am practicing 6 days a week and have a day break...i always tend to take a vocal rest on saturday..
but in the next week, me and my family are going on a vacation day..which mean that i wont be able to practice for 6 days..

And i am planning to use my vocal rest today(saturday) to practice..because the next week im going to rest for 6 days anyway..would that be good for me to practice on my rest day? Or would you recommend me to still taking a day off for today?
Is there anyone in here who has been doing vocal practice 7 days straight?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    pretty sure that's not a big problem.
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    Alright..thanks for your advice..

Is there anyone else in here been doing practice for 7 days straight and fine with it?
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17181/extended-rest-experiences#
    Terence said:

Great input from everyone. Thanks for sharing your insights!

Ok, I know we're not robots and vocal training is not an exact science. Still, these rest rules, gathered from KTVA and student experiences, may come in handy. Maybe call them Rest Rules for Optimizing Recovery and Growth?

Do you guys agree with these, would you change them or add to them?

Rest Rule 1 — Rest 1 or 2 days per week.
    Rest Rule 2 — Allow one day of rest between workouts.
    Rest Rule 3 — Workout at the same time of day (helps with RR2.)
    Rest Rule 4 — Keep multi-volume workouts within 20-min of each other (helps with RR2.)
    Rest Rule 5 — The day after a long workout may be the best day to rest.
    Rest Rule 6 — It may take at least 1/2 of the rest period to restore voice from not singing for more than 1 week.
    Rest Rule 7 — After a week off start slow and be patient to regain range.
    Rest Rule 8 — Minimize restoration time in RR6 by doing Lip, Tongue, and LAH(s), here and there.
    Rest Rule 9 — Advanced Students are unlikely to lose range or stamina by taking off 5 days or less.
    Rest Rule 10 — Achieving optimal growth and performing for gigs may be at cross purposes. You may have to prioritize one over the other in the short term.

Is there anyone else in here been doing practice for 7 days straight and fine with it?

Not me and never will be as 7 days in a row without a rest is non-productive. That is, assuming you're actually doing the exercises as Ken has recommended.

Take the day off, and then take the week off, too. During the time off, take a walk and do lip and tongue exercises once or twice.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    7 days is fine mate, I sometimes do up to 10 days in a row. It's just important to understand if you need to take a rest day, then do it. It all depends on how "strong" your voice is.
    Wigs said:

7 days is fine mate, I sometimes do up to 10 days in a row. It's just important to understand if you need to take a rest day, then do it. It all depends on how "strong" your voice is.

Wow, that's surprising and informative @Wigs

I guess we have to be careful in describing "rules" too broadly. My workouts have been intense lately, so need to take a day off well before 7 days go by.

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @Terence What I do is certainly not ideal, I have very little consistency with my workouts lately, and from day to day because of the nature of my work I don't know if I get time to practice. So I take it when I can, sometimes this means 10 days on then 7 days off. I've been doing it long enough that I understand my needs and limits, during those ten days I'll have a day or 2 of "active rest" where I'll only do a quick volume 2 workout, it's not maximum intensity every day.

If you can do 5 to 6 days a week consistently, that's the best way. A day or 2 extra here and there to make up for a lost day is fine like has been discussed in the earlier posts.
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    @Wigs @Klaus_T

hello guys..its me again..i have finally returned from my vacation day..

and the worst part is, i am now suffering a sore throat due to a sudden cold weather..

what do i do now? should i rest? or should i practice and just cruise what is easy for me?
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    if you have anything resembling an inflammation in that area, rest.