Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Hello everyone...is it normal to have this?

When I try to transition softly from chest to head voice I always have vocal fry or some kind of distorted or raspy voice (not hurting though)...But when I do it loudly it is fine....

Like here in this exercise around 21:23 minutes Ken starts to go softly on the the exercise
https://youtu.be/1D4KUjP-vOo

...I cannot produce same result there's always the raspiness/fry to my voice..but the exercise before this I can do without any problem

Is this normal at first and Can it be corrected with time or am I doing something wrong?

Answers

• TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    Paulv5 said:

When I try to transition softly from chest to head voice I always have vocal fry or some kind of distorted or raspy voice (not hurting though)...But when I do it loudly it is fine....

...I cannot produce same result there's always the raspiness/fry to my voice..but the exercise before this I can do without any problem

Is this normal at first and Can it be corrected with time or am I doing something wrong?

I've briefly experienced something similar and looked back in my journal for hints of the cause. If what you're experiencing is the same, my conclusion was an imbalance of strength between head and chest. Singing lightly makes it more obvious as one set of muscles dominates over the other causing a little fry in the transition.

For me, it goes away after rebalancing the strength of the weaker.

• Paulv5Paulv5 Member Posts: 33
    Terence said:

Paulv5 said:

I've briefly experienced something similar and looked back in my journal for hints of the cause. If what you're experiencing is the same, my conclusion was an imbalance of strength between head and chest. Singing lightly makes it more obvious as one set of muscles dominates over the other causing a little fry in the transition.

For me, it goes away after rebalancing the strength of the weaker.

Thank you I have tried adding a bit power and it works,and also it seems like the main reason is because I'm not fully warm up yet...

I think I found my mix but when I try to sing with mix voice,the voice sound really nasal and can not really understand the words properly but it takes me really high without strain...will my mix voice develop properly with time?
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    edited December 2022
    Paulv5 said:

Paulv5 said:

I think I found my mix but when I try to sing with mix voice,the voice sound really nasal and can not really understand the words properly but it takes me really high without strain...will my mix voice develop properly with time?

There's a big difference between singing a sustained note on one vowel in mixed voice and being able to go in and out of mixed voice in a song. In a song you're likely navigating multiple vowels, consonants, and intervals, and possibly changing the volume.

I'm on this part of the journey now and often enjoy sailing through the vol 5 (mixed voice) exercises. Putting it all together and deploying in songs is a fair description of what vol 6 is all about and which, for me, currently feels like climbing a pretty tall mountain.

If you do the vol 5 work then yes I think your mixed voice will solidly develop. You'll be left with more options in your toolbag and ready for vol 6 where we learn how to use them.
  • Paulv5Paulv5 Member Posts: 33
    Terence said:

Paulv5 said:

Paulv5 said:

There's a big difference between singing a sustained note on one vowel in mixed voice and being able to go in and out of mixed voice in a song. In a song you're likely navigating multiple vowels, consonants, and intervals, and possibly changing the volume.

I'm on this part of the journey now and often enjoy sailing through the vol 5 (mixed voice) exercises. Putting it all together and deploying in songs is a fair description of what vol 6 is all about and which, for me, currently feels like climbing a pretty tall mountain.

If you do the vol 5 work then yes I think your mixed voice will solidly develop. You'll be left with more options in your toolbag and ready for vol 6 where we learn how to use them.
    Sad to say I can not purchase the course as the currency difference is too big...where I lived Ken's Course is expensive...guess I should stick with free videos from Kens and hope for the best 😌...anyway thankyou for giving me tips on my problem 👍🤘