Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Seal - Kiss From a Rose (2019 vs 2022) Vocal Cover (with video)

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
Hey guys,

Just wanted to quickly share a little comparison between my old cover version and my new cover version after 3 years of singing development (also worked on my mixing and overall sound). I am very satisfied with how my work is turning out :).

I believe my new version is a semitone apart or so? If you want you can listen to the 2019 version first and then the new one.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers!

2023 Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfp3VOin1EM

2022 VERSION

2019 VERSION

@doc_ramadani @HuduVudu @victortang @Vocality @Klaus_T @Sophia @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin n @Giraffy @Spyk @DogMeat @Moviefan2k4 @Claude77 @andrew_walker @Mysti @bentk @dvarovic @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @Caw_Im_A_Raven @Warner @d1g2w3 @coffeecrank @maximgottmer @Goldtaff @Hollywood @GuyChan @Moftem @Wildmanofthewoods @sealrose @codeowl

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Hi @Diego

Had a listen to both of your covers 2019 was really good, so much improvement in the latest 2022 cover you have so much more control vocally smoother tone sound and all round much improved professional performance.

Awesome progress Diego great to hear your improvements

George B)
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Hi George! @Vocality
    Thanks for listening :). I really appreciate your feedback.

Will continue to improve!
  • JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Dude, there's no comparison! Great work! One of my favorite songs.
  • TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346
    Joshua said:

Dude, there's no comparison! Great work! One of my favorite songs.

I agree with @Joshua @Diego but if you do compare there must be two dozen improvements that add up almost a completely different voice. The first version is impressive since you were able to power through the hard parts. On the latest version it sounds like you're enjoying the hard parts!

Any tips or milestones you'd like to share about your journey? Also, what's your current workout routine?
    edited December 2022
    Thanks guys! @Joshua @Terence

I appreciate the comments. As for any tips that I'd give is to record yourself in even small clips and to listen back when you sing. In one of my messaging apps (Whatsapp), I send voice clips to myself all the time of when I want to sing and listen back. I listen back to my voice a lot and give myself feedback.

This is just today for example. Even if it's small clips I always like to see how I'm doing. And of course, I do this every day, sometimes even up to 3 hours if I have time after uni and work (I get carried away).

I've learned so much from listening to other professional singers. The more you listen to good and bad voices and try learning from it, the more you start understanding how your own voice works. Once you map that out, that's when the REAL fun starts. You start to experiment and reach countless dead-ends until you land in that placement where you say "AHA!". For instance, I used to listen back to my recordings on my phone and realized that my headvoice really needed improvement since it felt really disconnected and kind of airy:

Thanks to that, I was able to start trying different ways of tackling head voice. One day I was playing around with it and I hit a spot in my voice that I never really explored before. What I thought was my head voice, was actually my falsetto. That's why it sounded so disconnected! I kept that same feeling of placement I had in that moment and started using it a lot more. Hence, why my head voice in this recording of "Kiss From A Rose" is a lot stronger.

I believe running into those dead ends and eventually moments of realization and improvement are one of the most satisying things and what makes singing so interesting to me. Additionally, it is also those failures which make you a more well rounded singer.

Once again, I got carried away with my answer. I do hope this helps in some way :).

-Diego

• TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 346

Very thankful you took the time to share these thoughts, @Diego ! That you remain so diligent in recording yourself is remarkable and obviously fruitful. I also appreciate the way you seem to have taken what you've learned and become your own vocal coach which I'm learning is necessary no matter how much great info Ken brings us.

If you hadn't shared your head voice weakness, I wouldn't have known. But, no doubt your HV is much improved on the second version. I suppose that gives some insight as to why you had to push through the high notes on the first version, whereas you float into them in the second.

The dead ends you're talking about are starting to get obvious but am thankful they are way beyond where the journey began. There are many great singers to learn from now, and I also find myself not listening to some that I've learned should not be considered role models.

Question for you: in addition to greatly strengthening your head voice, it seems you've stretched chest voice height enough now to sing just about anything. Would you say stretching your chest voice even further is of any importance to you now or are you now focused on nailing down those items you find by recording yourself on various songs?

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your journey!
  • GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 167
    Hey @Diego, it's been a while !

So, in the first version (2019), I can hear that your pitch is already good, and your choices and command of the tones is really good.

In the second version though, you have more command on your voice, as far as the choices of tone, registers, and the quality of your singing is just really professional. It's absolutely great. You also have a rounder tone, less nasality, a richer mixed voice and a prettier, rounder head voice. The recording process is a little different too, which makes for and even more professional quality. So overall, I'm glad to see how your voice has grown and taken a great quality.

For a non-musician ear, there's not much change, because you were already good, but for sure, you got much better in the finesse of singing. I love seeing that. You have a great tone !

Peace to you,
    Florian
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hello Diego,

what a pleasure to see you blossoming. I had a big smile on my face when listening to your 2022 rendition. Man, what a development. I can hear that your voice gained a lot of that "IT" we are all searching for.

Diego, you can be proud. Awesome progress.

Doc

PS.: What about writing some originals for you? :-)
  • kworamkworam 3.0 Streaming Posts: 118
    @Diego when I compare the vocals on your latest version to the 2019 version, they are smooth, seamless, and controlled throughout the song. Great singing! I love this song, and you did it justice.
  • JoanneJoanne 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 10
    Wow!!! Amazing work, @Diego!! Congratulations on your vocal transformation!!!!!!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I finally had time to listen to this and without listening to your older version I cant still hear your familiar tone but with alot more maturity now. I think a dig difference between then and now is your contiguous phrasing, you are so professional sounding now that you really should be putting yourself out there. My neighbour made some cash by writing and singing lyrics over EDM tracks.

Top job mate!!!
    @GuyChan @doc_ramadani @kworam @Joanne and @Wigs Thank you guys so much!

I haven't stopped singing and mixing since then, I've tried getting rid of a lot of that nasality that I had in the 1st recording.

Experimenting a lot with my voice has helped me improve tremendously. Knowing the ins and outs of your own voice really helps when trying out new things.

Looking to keep improving every day!

-Diego
    Hey guys :).

I just released a video cover for this.

Please check it out, you can also see it at the top.

Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfp3VOin1EM

Hello Diego,

what a pleasure to see you blossoming. I had a big smile on my face when listening to your 2022 rendition. Man, what a development. I can hear that your voice gained a lot of that "IT" we are all searching for.

Diego, you can be proud. Awesome progress.

Doc

PS.: What about writing some originals for you? :-)

@doc_ramadani I forgot to answer the last part. And I would be up for it :).
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Hi, @Diego

I listened to all three versions. I noticed some things that were already commented. Your head voice improved tremendously from the 2019 to the 2022. The song was much smoother with better contiguous phrase singing.

In 2022 I noticed one place where you cut off a bit short. The word gray on the “I’ve been kissed by a rose on the gray” section. In 2023 it was still short, but lasted just that tiny bit longer to make it sound better.

From 2022 to 2023, your voice gained warmth, making it sound even more pleasant to the ear than it already did. I don’t know if that is a change in your voice or just better equipment to capture your sound, but you sound amazing.

I agree with Doc. You can be very proud! Your hard work has paid off. I can’t wait to hear what you do next.