Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Every breaking wave (mtv awards live vs.)- u2 cover

Any criticism is more than welcome. I had to give 2 breaks completing this song. I notice some inadequencies in mt own recording. What may be the major reasons? Pushing to hard on my range? Range not ready yet? How long of a time of everyday vocal exercices would it take to sing this one comfortably in one piece, or is it ever possible to sing it as good as bono for my vocal range?
https://www.smule.com/c/1301872301_3762529870

Comments

• FatihFatih Member Posts: 14
    Ps. On the La-Ah exercises i can comfortably hit A5, and can barely get a smell of A5#. Ive been exercising regularly 3 months now...
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It helps to think of singing as a long term goal. When I think back to when I started, I think I would be comfortable trying this song after 6 months. After 2 years (which is where im at now), I think I could do it enough justice at Karaoke that people would say I did pretty good. Another 2 or 3 years and I might be happy to perform this as a part of a live set. Im giving you my personal timeline as an example of how long it can take some people, everyone is different, but dont be surprised or disheartened if you have to follow a similar path.

You have some nice tone in here but your control and support is lacking, that is what you hear as inadequency. A5 is really high for a male, I can barely touch that on a good day, if that is your actual limit, each new note will take longer to get to. Think of a sprinter, how much training do they need to do to take off 0.001 second of their time?

Be patient and concentrate on what you are doing now and do it well with consistency.
    Great motivating comment here brother, appreciate it by heart. And great analogy of a sprinter breaking his own rec. Im 45 yrs old, hope i can live long enuff to handle songs of this kind in a way it deserves. Is it to late to start this singing journey, if im ambitious enuff to leave some mark at least in my country as a decent singer?...Im an athlete and my whole life focused on developing muscles, the only one ignored was vocals. Im not the type that dreams the impossible so its really important for me to know If it is realistically doable at this age to be pleasently singing close to big brothers such as bono, bon jovi, etc...
    And one thing, though i can hit A5 on La-Ah easily, when it comes to singing i sound like you wanna feel pitty. For example ive been trying song name "belle" by garou, on the highest it goes to G5#, its within my range but why i sound like u wanna throw a quarter in my palm to keep me quiet...If i were to hit the note 1-2 times in a raw its ok, but when you constantly gotta stay around those notes, i get wimpy, though i have good breath since im an athlete, cannot apply it to sustaining the high notes...Guess like y said, gotta ve patient
    And would love to hear you singing too, any links?
    I started at 38, others here have started after 50. Look, who knows how good you can be. What I know is it took me almost 2 years of solid practice to get to a point that I can objectively assess how I compare to other singers. I like to go by 1 take or live performances as a bench mark, since you are an athlete, im sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to reach an elite level. Pursue this with a mindset to discover first, goals will come later.

Scales are the drills, singing is game day. You will likely be alot more precise in your practice, everything is predictable, you know what's coming, you can set yourself up, run without hinderance. Game day, we negotiate other players, slowing down, speeding up, running with a ball. Singing has all the variables, and keeping the strength for an A5 in a song would require monstrous support and control.

Check out @Klaus_T page for a workout he made from Kens YouTube videos, that will give you a taste of what to expect in the course.

As for my self you can check out these. 1 is a video where I sing the same song from the start of KTVA and 12 months in. The 2 are covers I sang for a little climbing movie I did. These 2 songs were recorded line by line and put together in garage band.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/12560/the-same-song-almost-1-year-apart-and-with-ktva-together-in-one-video-be-alright-by-dean-lewis#latest

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/14108/2-covers-of-brother-by-matt-corby-and-the-way-by-fastball-for-my-film-since-8#latest

Oh and a fun collaboration I did with @doc_ramadani

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/13874/collab-demo-with-doc-and-wigs-stuck-together-from-the-musical-of-catch-me-if-you-can#latest
    Have seen all your vids. Great job. On the 1st one i can see the development in control, distortion, and vowel mod. During the 2 years how many steps were u able to add in your range?
    I dont actually know how much range I added, I didn't understand much about music so I just followed the course. My base line was better man by Robbie Williams, I remember before the course I was constantly switching octaves in the song, it would either get too high or low for me. Within the first 3 months of the course I could get through the whole thing in the original key. After a year I realised I could go to an E5 in my scales, 2 years on I can sometimes touch an A5. When I sing something for performance I try to make sure the song doesn't go past B4/C5. Thats because I haven't yet built the strength or technique to use those notes properly.

The course taught me how to properly use the range I had in the first 6 months, after that first year is when I truly began stretching my range.
    edited October 2020
    Ahh i see now where i screw up, so to sing nicely we should stay about half an octive below of our stretched highest note on scales, thats an a-ha moment. Thanks. So need probably about a year more of training to handle those high bono songs, if i ever can. Thanks man
    That is just my limitation, you will find your own. A cool thing to do is work a song in semi tones. There are quite a few programs (cant remember which ones) where you can change they key of a song to practice to. When you find a key that is very comfortable for you, use that as your base line.
    Yep, starmaker allows that. I just feel like im cheating if i have to change the key, but on the other hand, its the baby steps ha