Homeβ€Ί Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

2 years on the course, no lessons. Has KTVA been working for me?

WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
Hi everyone, I joined the course on the 13th of September 2018. Now its just over 2 years later and time for my 2nd year anniversary song. Ive averaged 5 days a week with my scales at an hour a day and anywhere from 0-5 hours a week on top of that singing karaoke and practicing songs. I spent 6 months with volume 1, 6 months with volume 2 and am currently just over a year with volume 3. 2 years is a long time and as far as Ive come, I know I have even farther to go. I have got a lesson booked with Ken, but I wanted to put this up before that, so if anyone is wondering if its possible to get results with the course AND the forum alone, they can make a decision based on what they hear here.

There are 2 videos, the first is my recent one and the other is from around 2 years ago. Both are a single take, no auto tune and ive left my mistakes in. There is a bit of production in the vocals for the recent one, Im slowly learning a bit about EQing and all the rest.

Enjoy!

EDIT : I had been singing for about 6 months before the course, just karaoke at home with no idea about technique or anything. Then I started with KTVA. While everyone progresses at a different rate and with different levels of understanding, I found that volume 1 had an immediate effect on my singing and my friends started to notice the difference within a month or so. It showed me how to properly use what range I already had. My initial problem before was having to constantly switch octaves within a song, I could go high or low but not join up the middle. To get the most out of this course without having to take lessons, use the forum! It is a safe space to get feed back and discuss course content.

https://youtu.be/DjY_KPjowMY

https://youtu.be/RkcuhcLl_Uo

@highmtn @jaclynser @doc_ramadani @Elara @bentk @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    As well as some of the newer students @DeltonHedges @Gutier @oppositeofgravity @Emanuele @Stevenochoasmusic

Sorry if I have missed anyone o:)
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Wow, that is very very much progress! Congrats man! Sounds great. Please tell me of your lesson with Ken when You had it :) See you.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @wigs Chris

Your early rendition was not bad, but your current rendition is brilliant, you have gained that warm open throat sound Ken talks about. Your range at the top of this song is much stronger and with plenty of grit.

I had a lesson with Ken a few months ago, have learned a few things was doing wrong, like to review the video just to check and I know have progressed alot since then. I may do a follow up 1/2 hour later on with Ken

Brilliant work Chris you've indeed came a long way in your singing journey, we both started about the same time and it's nice to see how much you have progressed!!!

George
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @Wigs, outstanding progress!
    You actually started off pretty decent in pitch and range, and it only got better :+1:
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    @Wigs

What an amazing improvement, Chris. Not just your tone and range, but I could feel your emotions in the new version.
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    edited October 2020
    Wow @Wigs you can be soooooo proud of what you have reached in these 2 years.
    Your latest version is awesome! And its also amazing that not only your singing is like a pro.. you even look like a pro now ;) Great performance!
  • SinaSina 2.0 PRO Posts: 67
    The proof is in the singing!
    I like your honesty and enthusiasm!
    Thanks man! :)
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I just wanna say you did pretty dang good in your first video too but somehow the second performance was still a massive improvement in all the really cool subtle ways. Your voice has a great "huskiness" to in parts of the second performance and your high notes and belts with grit and chestiness' were far better in your second performance! If you ever wanna see what some practice and determination to do something will get you then watch these two videos! Great job @Wigs! and I can't wait to hear you sing it again in two more years!
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Dude. You started out with pretty good range but what an change. Awesome. It’s the best thing I’ve heard you post on here. I wish I would’ve posted something last January so I could do the same thing. I went to my local vocal coach I haven’t seen since March and I could really tell the difference. Can’t wait to start vol 3 but not doing it till I’m solid on all the vol 2 scales. I’m verrrry close. Awesome job!!
    Thanks so much everyone! My first video was about 3 months into the course, I really wish I recorded something before that but those are the earliest videos I have. You'll just need to believe me that the range I had before KTVA was not close to the first video, but the Vowel mods got me there fairly quick, its just been ALOT of refining and working on strength and tone, and well everything really :smile:

Its a joy to share this with you all.
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    edited October 2020
    OMG! That is amazing, @Wigs! You did have a good starting point, as other have said, but the control you have of your voice now compared to 2 years ago is obvious. The timbre of your voice is so much richer. Loved the little bits of grit too. This is so inspiring!
  • heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    Thank you for sharing 😊 the improvement is enormous, no question of that! Well done!
    I really got inspired to do something like this to. Hmm... Wonder if I have some old takes somewhere. Nice way to keep the motivation going πŸ‘
  • StevenochoasmusicStevenochoasmusic 2.0 PRO Posts: 175
    @Wigs Man thank you so much for sharing this! This is so awesome and I’m very happy to see the huge transformation you’ve gone through within the 2 years of both of these videos. Seeing this is personally very inspiring to me within my own vocal journey in this course and how far I’ve come along so far as well. And you also look like you’ve gained quite a bit of confidence in the second video compared to the first. Good stuff bro! Keep it up!!
  • GutierGutier 2.0 PRO Posts: 99
    Very good, I do not know the song but it is beautiful.

When you make the voice with distortion after singing for a while like that, does it cause you any pain? or scrape? and another thing, something that occurred to me while watching the video, have you tried singing the song as if you were practicing the scales? I mean singing without emotions in the face (of course it goes against the feeling of a song, I mean it in a practical sense)

is it possible or advisable to do that? I don't know if any of this is explained in the following volumes, I am still in volume I.

You have a giant vein in your neck, that's normal, do you use a lot of force? I have noticed in the exercises, that sometimes it appears to me.
  • GutierGutier 2.0 PRO Posts: 99
    @wigs You already sang and or practiced before KTVA right? or did you start from scratch with ken ??? I say because in the video of two years ago you already sound quite solid and having achieved that level in 3 months is wow! how fast forward!
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I’ve noticed that vein in most everything Chris has submitted and wondered the same thing my self but I think in his case it’s cuz he’s a very lean guy and that vein is just close to the surface. He doesn’t seem strained in most people’s case they’re not as lean or have such a large vein so close to the surface. I think it’s just his physical make up
    @Gutier I have no pain or hoarseness at all after singing with distortion. It was hard for me to believe at first, but it really is all about technique. If you listen from 2:22, I go from distortion straight into a pure clean tone (well as pure and clean as I can anyway). I also left the end of the video in not to show off, but to show that I wasn't huffing and puffing after singing it because I let my support do all the heavy lifting. I got tired sure, but not in my throat.

I think its in volume 2 Ken starts to discuss more how to apply all this stuff to songs. I did actually practice as you described. I start the whole song with just the ah vowel, then I sing all the vowels, then I add in consonants to make the words understandable.

As for the vein in my neck, that seems to become prominent when I get higher in my chest or if Im using alot of compression. Ken has a video (I cant remember if its in the course or on Youtube) where he discusses Pavarotti and what he describes as a bulldog neck, where the whole thing is flexed and seems big and veiny. From memory its not a bad thing as long as you are applying all the relevant correct technique. If this video is on YouTube and someone knows what it is, please pop a link for me.

As for how long Ive been singing for, Ive edited the first post :smile:
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Hey Wigs, I just had a listen to this. Massive improvement in my opinion. One of the biggest things i notice is much better compression and support in your recent version. That alone makes it so much better and more professional. It sounds stronger, brighter and more powerful. Pitch also seems to be improved (but can be even better i think!). You are doing very well man. Thanks a lot for posting this! Cool distortion also.

It's clear that i like it, but i am honestly interested to hear what you think about? Are you happy with your progress? I really should get to posting some stuff sooner than later. I really appreciate these uploads.

The neck thing is not an issue as far as i can tell. You don't sound like you are straining.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hey man, congrats on your progress. about to hit the 2-years-mark myself. it does work!!!
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hey Wigs,

You already sounded nice in the second video (the older one) but your improvement in the first video is absolutely incredible.

You are an inspiration to me! Thanks a lot for sharing! (and for all your comments and feedback in these months)

Emanuele
  • jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Wow, this is such a great way to show how much progress you've made! You're video from 2 years ago you can see how you haven't developed much of your diaphragmatic breath or support yet. Also your quite nasally in this video which is a problem I definitely used to have being from a musical theatre background.

Your new video you have SO MUCH MORE POWER!!! Not to even mention your distortion yet, your overall tone and support is such an incredible change. Your video has such a round powerful tone and you are not straining at all for those higher notes. Pitch as well is much much better in your new video.

Thank you for posting this @Wigs this is truly inspirational!! I can't wait to hear how your lesson goes with Ken!!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Wigs,
    Dear Chris,

we have now been walking side by side for more than 2 years. And we've had so many interesting discussions about singing during this time.

It is so impressive to see how much you have improved during this time. Even your beard styling has also become much more tasteful. :D

Dear Chris, I thank you so much for this great trip and all the positive experiences that I was able to make with you. You're a really great guy and you've helped so much in making this forum a better place.

I'm looking forward to finally being able to relax and chat on Skype again after we've all left this demanding pandemic behind us.

Your friend, Marco

PS.: I agree with @bentk and could recommend https://www.tonegym.co/ to you. But man, this will be tough. But as a stupid mountain climber you might like challenges. :-)
    @bentk I was waiting for someone to call me out on my pitchπŸ™‚ I still haven't managed to record something where my pitch is spot on start to finish, and I did have other takes of this where it was better overall, but this version had better power and tone and I managed to not wimp out on the last high notes at the end of the song.

I'm extremely pleased with what I've achieved so far! Another 6 or 12 months I might start putting things like this on my YouTube channel. The constant exercises day in day out, week to week really gives me confidence in myself. It's something I never thought I could do. Thanks for your encouragement, you helped me with your feed back in my early days and I'm glad to share my journey.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited November 2020
    @Wigs It's great to hear that you can really appreciate how far you have come. You are doing very well.

Pitch is a journey. I think it helps if you play an instrument and do at least some pitch training. Pitch training can be just that, or combine it with training musical intervals for instance. Do you play an instrument? I don't remember if you do or don't.

Pitch training is done best regularly. I know that's true for many things, but even 10 minutes everyday could help you. However, the way you approach pitch training is up to you. I'm not an expert on what the best methods are. However, just checking your pitch every time might not be the only thing that will help you. It's important to check, and listen back (record!) to. However, pitch etc. comes from other practice as well i think. Singing along with an instrument, singing melodies from your head etc. is all training. Paying attention to it is the key, and a recording or pitch meter can help you with that whenever you so please.

Just an example: If i am singing an interval (i'm not even good at singing most intervals on command) like a major second, i have to be very aware of pitch. To me, that is also pitch training. Using my voice whilst playing or practicing the piano or guitar can also help. It's the sum of all these things. I just kept making music, learning about music, becoming more 'musical' and keep on singing. Slowly my pitch just got better. I didn't use a pitch meter and didn't even often record myself. I should have recorded more actually.

This got a bit out of hand and might be a little incoherent, my apologies. Hope it helps a little though!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Look look and sound like a real artist already @Wigs . Be proud of yourself, and keep rocking!
  • kazk1210kazk1210 2.0 PRO Posts: 35
    @Wigs Thank you for sharing your great progress! It motivate me a lot!
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    @Wigs

I just saw your lesson with Ken here: https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/14917/reviewing-the-vowels-with-chris#

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all :love:
    You are awesome and its inspiring to see that a lot of work is paying off !!!
  • ModMod 2.0 PRO Posts: 60
    Very good voice. The song brought up many nuances from your voice. Very well done!
  • DeltonHedgesDeltonHedges 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    Wonder @Wigs totally awesome to hear the progress you have made, not that you were bad in the first place, but your dedication and work really shows in the recent recording. Of course, I would still prefer to hear you singing the Paul Kelly sorts of songs...your voice really suited that 'Gravy' song, but this is splendid too.
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Tremendous improvement in your voice!

• RainbowRainbow 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 9
    edited April 2021
    Hey @Wigs - wow! - thanks for sharing these videos - sounds like tons of progress! - exciting! - am happy for you 😊 Keep enjoying your singing ✌️🎀🌈
  • AZAprilAZApril Member Posts: 2
    wow, very good, you filled it in using your voice like an instrument. Well Done and much improvement!!
  • LeonieGoosensenLeonieGoosensen 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Wow, great voice!!!
    Thanks to everyone still listening to this :smile:
  • RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    Wow, I know this was almost a year ago now but I'm just seeing this. Sounds great man, not sure how much you've progressed this past year but this is good man! Only thing I would say it that on the heavier parts, you could use a little more support/strength and distortion and maybe a little more breath control to hold those notes out a bit a longer. But sounds good man, nice job, I really love this song Stone Sour is great!
    @Jwal Thanks man πŸ™‚ funny you should mention distortion cause here is a video where I try use more of it a year later.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/16108/my-distortion-after-nearly-3-years-of-ktva-heart-shaped-box-by-nirvana#latest
  • RLVRLV Member Posts: 168
    @Wigs cool dude, checking that out now!
  • ModMod 2.0 PRO Posts: 60
    @Wigs , your voice has had potential from the very beginning. Even though the first version was done with weaker muscles there can be heard that the training will lead to a goal that is good, inevitably.

The second take is much better and the course has worked. And both are old takes and you are much further now from what I have heard.

I would like to ask you if you are satisfied with your voice in any song or do you have tried some material within your range that is challenging you in any way.
    @Mod I really wish I had the courage to record myself before I started KTVA, the difference in the first few months was quite a lot for me. I'm satisfied with how much my voice has grown, I have reached a point now where I won't be putting in the effort to continue to improve. I want too of course but there other things in my life that take my time and attention so I'm happy just trying to maintain what I have. I put up an acoustic cover of Callum Scott that still struggle with and am not happy with the result that you can listen to here

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/16926/you-are-the-reason-by-calum-scott-over-3-years-with-ktva-its-still-a-tough-song-for-me#latest