Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Blinding Lights - The Weekend

https://youtu.be/8jevaoZzK0c
How is my pitch, control, tone, phrasing, etc.? I think my tone needs the most attention right now. It seems to be pretty thin. How would I work on that? Maybe supporting it more with my diaphragm and bigger breaths. Also making sure the larynx stays down and back of the tongue stays at the base of the jaw.

Comments

• shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Nice cover, Michael. Some of the notes in refrain are different than the original I think? But this might be because of the accoustic version... I covered this song a few weeks ago, too. Love it and it makes lot of fun singing it.
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    I lowered the key of this song to fit my voice. Share your cover! Agreedd. Thanks for checking it out.
  • DannyOc3anDannyOc3an 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 668
    Hi there Michael, I enjoyed your sample. I agree with you on the tone, while not bad at all, to my ears you could benefit a lot more by a stronger sense of support. A bigger breath into your belly (a completely relaxed belly betwen each and every single breath), then engaging your first vowel with the abdomen so the rest of the line flows out from your abdomen too, and making your air last for the whole phrase. Feel your abdomen fueling the whole thing and notice how the sound gets thicker, better. Since you're sitting down and handling the guitar, this even flow of support may become a bit tough; (we lose about 30% of support capacity when sitting down) so see if you could try the song standing up, no guitar first, find how your abdominal support improves your sound and then translate the whole thing to the sitting down position. If you still find you need to work on it more, do some singing sit-ups before so you can recall the feeling!

It's nice to see you're sharing your progress! Keep it up!
  • LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    Not bad! I can tell you're having a lot of fun with this song. To echo what others were saying definitely work on your support so you can get a stronger sound. Support will help your tone over time. It's really hard to work on tone specifically so just keep practicing support, breath control, pitch and vocal agility and your tone will develop over time. It took me about 3 years to "find" my tone. Keep practicing and doing your scales and working on technique. It will all fall into place trust me :)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The tone and placement is generally ok, it doesn't sound too thin, but more about needing a bit more support. With more support you can keep the weight of your tone the same if you want or lean in a tiny bit more for a bit more fullness, without the extra support it sounds just a little weak. Also if you post some demos in the student area we can really dive into targeting feedback that links directly to the course and where you are with it at the moment.
  • michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Great @wigs I am glad you took the time to provide some feedback. This demo is posted in the student area right? just created a demo of me singing and tagged you. https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/16915/dancing-in-the-moonlight-michael-hill-vocal-demo/p1?new=1
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Hey Michael,

Sounds pretty good :).

I'd agree with what is being said previously with support. I can feel by the sound you are creating that your placement is a caught in your throat which also sometimes impacts your ability to really "lock on" to the resonance and let your voice "breathe" or open up so to speak.

Practice to sing just more resonant vowels, make sure to work on that resonance together with the support. Just like working out, you want to make sure you focus on the "form". At the chorus you can hear a bit of struggle on the "Ooh" vowel, because your breath starts wavering and finds no real place to "lock on" to.

You'll have to play around with it and find that placement where the vowel naturally falls into that sweet resonant spot (pocket), which then want to work so that it becomes muscle memory.

Keep it up!

-Diego